This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosures here.
Are you just beginning your breast pumping journey? Or are you doing some pre-delivery research in preparation for becoming a new mom?
Maybe you’re like thousands of other mothers who have discovered pumping their breast milk as a more doable form of breastfeeding.
Whatever the case may be, I have compiled a comprehensive list of all the breast pumping essentials, accessories and must-haves you should ever need!
Must-Have Pumping Accessories and Supplies:
- HandsFree pumping bras are your ticket to multitasking while you pump! You cannot expect to pump often without using a handsfree pumping bra. They keep your pumping kit secure and allow you use your hands while you pump.
- Breast therapy packs are hugely beneficial for pumping because the heat therapy really aids in milk production. Or, use them cool when you’re feeling tender or engourged for soothing relief.
- Nipple lubricant will be very important to keep stocked up on! You’ll need to apply this before every pump session to ensure that you are not causing harmful friction while you pump.
- Extra pump parts are a good idea to have spares of at your breast pumping station. There’s been quite a few times my breastmilk production would go down in a day’s time and the problem would be as simple as needing to change my pump’s parts.
- Sunflower Lecithin is always at arms reach when I pump. I take it at every pump session. It makes a huge difference to help to help loosen up that sticky flow and fully empty your breasts each time.
- Kiinde’s Breastmilk Storage System is definitely something you should invest in. Getting started on a freezer stash is a great idea. Especially during the first few months after your milk comes in and is most bountiful. Also, check if you qualify for free breastfeeding supplies through insurance, I did!
- A thorough education on breast pumping and milk supply that you can also refer back to is an essential pumping must-have in my book! Grab The Exclusive Pumping Class by Milkology to check this essential off your list.
- Organic hand sanitizer should also make the list. Being conscious of hygiene is so so important when you are handling anything baby will be consuming.
Must-Have Accessories for Milk Supply
Ensuring you have fully emptied your breasts when you pump is crucial to avoid infections like mastitis and to maintain a healthy milk supply.
In addition to sunflower lecithin, lactation tools such as a these warming lactation massage pads are another vital milk supply must-have! You can insert them directly into your pumping bra while you pump to significantly increase milk flow using heat and vibration.
Grab yourself some of these awesome lactation tools at LaVie and use the code LOVEOURLITTLES10 for 10% off!
Lets talk a little about nourishment, consuming foods that will encourage a healthy milk supply is key!
Make some of my No Bake Boobie Bites to keep your milk production amped up and rinse them down with your favorite drink to have while breastfeeding. Staying hydrating at all times during the day while you are pumping is crucial.
Essential Breast Pumps
Next on this extreme pumping essentials list, is the breast pump of course!
I own four of them myself, so I’ve done the hands-on research for you! If you’re going to be spending as much time on the pump as I do, it is a good idea to invest in at least a couple really good pumps!
You’ll get to see my recommendations of a few essential breast pumps you will need for everyday use, pumping on the go and more.
If you need a breast pump, get one for FREE! Fill out this form (only takes a minute) and you may save yourself a couple hundred bucks!
A Powerful Breast Pump
The Medela Pisa was the pump I began exclusively pumping with, it’s the O.G. in my house.
The feature that worked out the best for me with this pump was the quick and strong pull it has. Which for me, seemed to help trigger multiple letdowns more quickly.
Hand expressing with the medela was easily performed as well. I also really like the flanges and pump parts with the Medela, they are easily and cheaply replaceable.
However, there are some negative things about this pump too. Such as, the fact that it is a loud one.
I can’t use this pump for my middle of the night pumping sessions because of that.
Which leads me into the next essential breast pump I have on the list.
An Essential Every Day Breast Pump
Many exclusive pumping moms have ranked Spectra as their all-time favorite hospital grade, every day breast pump.
Because of the love Spectra gets from the pumping community, I had to find out for myself! I have to say, it is the cutest pump I’ve ever seen!
If you’re trying to decide between the two, here are the differences: The Spectra S2 is the cutest shade of pink and plugs into the wall, so it’s not great for mobility. However, the pretty blue Spectra S1 has a battery and can be charged to become a cordless pump.
I found the Spectra S2 to be perfect for my needs and especially perfect for late night pumping sessions because of how super quiet it is. It even has a night light!
You’ll love how light, quiet and even portable these pumps are! Another bonus is that they have a much gentler suction for when your sensitive bits need a break!
Must-Have Portable Breast Pumps
A portable breast pump is on the list of essential breast pumping must-haves because they are wonderful for pumping in the car, on the go and in public.
And honestly, if you don’t want to feel like a prisoner chained to the electrical outlet all day – they are essential to your sanity!
The Genie Plus Portable Breast Pump is small, cordless and rechargeable, perfect for travel!
I recommend every serious and exclusive pumper get a travel size electric pump.
There is a lot you can do with a small rechargeable pump like this, hang it from your neck and go about your day while pumping on the go.
If you choose to get the Genie Plus by Pumpables, shop this link to get 10% off your total order!
Another portable pump option is the BabyBuddha breast pump. This sleek little pump is a peanut compared to the others, but even so, it’s a power house!
Level 1 on this pump rivals the highest suction capabilities of any other pump I know of.
A Wearable Breast Pump
Maybe you’ve seen these wearable breast pumps advertised and if not, they literally fit into your bra and are completely handsfree.
Let’s just say, these pumps are not your mother’s pump!
If you have the budget for a pump like the Willow, get one! I have yet to meet a mom who owns this pump that isn’t over the moon thrilled they made the investment.
P.S. You may also be eligible for low monthly payments through Affirm, check here.
Or, you could you could check with Aeroflow to see if you qualify for a free breast pump through your insurance and upgrade to a Willow with some out of pocket expense.
Manual Breast Pumps
A manual breast pump is definitely a breast pumping essential!
This is because of the freedom and total mobility a manual breast pump provides. You can give no thought to traveling with it and easily toss it in your bag and head out of the house.
Manual breast pumps can also be the best tools for getting out a clog!
The Ultimate Pumping at Work Essentials
This is an essential online resource to equip you with tools to overcome your back to work pumping and milk supply concerns. It also guides you through the tough process of transitioning back to work while breastfeeding and pumping.
If you want to learn the specialized skills and techniques needed in order to maintain your milk supply while away from your baby and make sure they will take a bottle while you’re at work – grab this course!
The Ultimate Back to Work Pumping Class is your must-have back to work pumping manual. You will quickly see how this online pumping resource can help you more easily achieve your back to work breastfeeding goals!
Let’s Wrap it up
There you are mama, the most essential breast pumping accessories, gear and must-haves I could think of! If you’d like one last look, I’ll leave the full list for you below.
- Efficient Double Electric Pump
- Manual Breast Pump
- Cordless Double Electric Pump
- Hands Free Pumping Bra
- Breast Therapy Packs
- Nipple Lubricant
- Extra Pump Parts
- Sunflower Lechitin
- Breast Milk Storage System
- Lactation Aids
Don’t forget to grab your exclusive discount codes so you can shop smart!