I am an owner of both versions of the DockATot and yes, I purchased them both on my dime. This review is not sponsored or paid for.
With that being said, you are going to be informed on everything worth knowing about this unique baby product. Such as, safe sleep guidelines, care and cleaning instructions, extra real-life user tips and more!
This DockATot review is a genuine tell-all about a baby product I have used everyday for years and for two kids now!
The views and opinions stated in this review are my own and are not a direct representation of DockATot.
This post may contain affiliate links, find disclosures here.
Where to Buy DockATot
DockATot loungers can be found online at DockATot’s main website. You can also find them at Amazon with some limited choices and no discount options.
You may also stumble upon DockATot at Target and other bigger baby box stores, like Buy Buy Baby.
I purchased both of mine through Amazon, because I typically purchase everything with them.
However, I wish I would have gone through DockATot’s website because they offer sign-up discounts, loads of adorable cover options and better customer service overall.
I also believe it is best to go straight to the retailer when making a bigger ticket purchase, such as this.
If you do plan to purchase through Amazon, I strongly recommend having Amazon Prime to get free and fast shipping.
Here’s the list of online suppliers, use the links to compare pricing:
DockATot Baby Loungers
The DockATot docks come in two different versions, the DockATot Deluxe+ and the DockATot Grand and the difference between the two is size.
We will be looking at both docks in depth today and I will be giving you my experience with each and filling you in on everything you need to know before you buy!
- The Deluxe+ has been expertly crafted with the highest safety standards.
- It’s ideal for co-sleeping because of it’s unique rounded sides that create a barrier between baby and parent when used in an adult bed.
- The DockATot also has a womb-like shape, which gives your baby the ultimate nurturing comfort.
- Made with fabrics that create a micro-climate that will ensure no over-heating.
- Multiple uses in one item, the DockATot can be used for nesting, nursing, tummy time and more.
My Experience and Review of The Deluxe+ DockATot
I was a first time mom when I purchased the Deluxe+ DockATot last minute.
I knew I wanted to have the option to safely co-sleep with my baby in our adult bed.
After the first few nights of my newborn lying next to me securely hugged by her DockATot and sleeping sweetly, I knew I had made a wise purchase.
The comfort it brought me to place a hand on her chest as she slept and hear her little breathes gave this anxious new mom a priceless gift of peace.
I never once felt like she wasn’t safe or in any danger while she slept in her dock, the fabric of the lounger is very breathable and tight.
If you do choose to use the dock as a co-sleeper, do be aware that is NOT RECOMMENDED to be used for such purposes per DockATot nor am I suggesting you do so.
Pictured: Deluxe+ with Charcoal Buffalo Cover
Price: The Deluxe+ starts at $175.00 at DockATot.com
DockATot Grand Dock
- For toddlers, The Grand dock helps to reduce nighttime waking interruptions because of the cozy and safe environment it provides.
- The Grand dock helps with crib to bed transition and the raised edges keep your toddler from rolling out of bed.
- This dock is a cozy “hang-out” lounge for toddlers to enjoy anytime and anywhere.
- The same micro-climate and high-tech fabric is used on the Grand, which means no harmful amounts of heat are harbored.
My Grand Dock Review
It goes without saying, if you’re willing to spend double the price of the first dock in order to have the larger size for your growing baby – it must be worth it.
And it is!
My daughter was a pretty large baby and quickly out grew the Deluxe+ by 9 or 10 months. Allow me to say, there was no hesitation for me when I purchased the Grand.
Truly, both of our lives were better because of this baby product. Another thing I love about these docks is that no matter where we go, my baby has their bed with them.
This is a huge benefit and makes sleeping in a strange place a non-issue!
The Grand dock can also be used for toddlers to help them avoid rolling out of bed at night.
Pictured: Grand Dock with Desert Palm Cover
Price: The Grand starts at $275.00 at DockATot.com
DockATot and Co-Sleeping
Co-sleeping can be a wonderful experience for mom and baby.
However, there does need to be a serious take on safety precautions when deciding to sleep in bed with your baby. I would recommend reading this safe co-sleeping guidelines article.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has determined that the safest place for a baby to sleep during the first year of life is in a crib, bassinet or play yard in the parents’ bedroom.
- The DockATot Deluxe+ is intended for babies 0-8 months and is to be used for lounging, supervised napping and tummy time, co-sleeping, changing diapers, cuddling and playing.
- The DockATot Grand is for tots 9-36 months and can be used for all the same activities as the Deluxe+ as well as a way to facilitate comfortable sleeping in toddler beds and twin beds, when your child is ready.” – DockATot Safety Guidelines
7 Safety Precautions to Take While Co-Sleeping
Per DockATot safety guidelines:
1.) Never allow baby to sleep with an adult who suffers from sleep disorders, is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or is obese. Ensure that each adult in the bed are fully aware of baby’s presence.
2.) Carefully prepare the bed:
- Place the dock on a firm mattress and be sure it lays flat and remains flat with adults in the bed.
- Position the dock in the center of the bed, near the headboard. Each side of the dock should be at least 12″ from the edge of the bed.
- Remove all extra pillows, blankets or anything else that could cover the baby’s head.
- Make sure there are no extra covers, pillows, shams, sheets etc. over the dock. Covers can end up over the baby’s head and cause over-heating. Parents should use separate covers to reduce the risk of blankets being pulled up over the baby.
3.) To reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome, place baby on back in dock.
4.) Do not add blankets, pillows or padding of any kind under baby in the dock.
5.) Keep all cords and strings away from baby. Cords of any kind can pose a strangulation risk.
6.) Never leave baby alone in an adult bed.
7.) Never use components of dock separately. Only use when fully assembled and zipped. Loose fabrics and parts may present a suffocation hazard.
My little one falls fast asleep every night.
Traveling with the DockATot
One of the best aspects of owning a DockATot, is the ability to take your baby’s bed anywhere you go!
We have never had to worry about where the baby will sleep when we travel overnight or dread her not sleeping because she’s unfamiliar with her nighttime routine.
She always has her cozy and nurturing dock with her for any overnight stay and she sleeps like a champ all of the time too!
How Do I Travel with My DockATot?
Transporting your dock is easy too with their stylish and water-resistant travel totes. You literally can take your docks anywhere, and some moms do too! They can go to the beach, to the park on a picnic or even to the pool.
Believe it or not, but you can actually accessorize your DockATot!
The toy arch attachment turns the Deluxe+ dock into a lounging play yard.
You can also use a stand-alone activity gym of any kind (like this one Amazon carries) to place over your baby while in their dock, this is the one I have and it’s working great!
Caring for Your DockATot
This section will cover the important details of caring for and cleaning your DockATot per the manufacturers guidelines. These are the rules I follow to clean and care for mine, and so far so good!
Pay close attention to these care instructions, you do not want to accidentally shrink your DockATot’s outer shell!
How Do I Wash My DockATot?
Here are the recommended instructions for cleaning each individual part of your DockATot. Take a screenshot or write these down, they will come in handy when you’re ready to wash it for the first time.
Machine wash warm in a garment bag. Do not bleach, dry clean or iron. Hang to dry directly after machine wash to help avoid color bleeding for covers with prints. Do not tumble dry.
Hand wash and lay flat to dry. Do not tumble dry, iron, bleach or dry clean.
Machine wash warm and hang to line dry. Do not tumble dry, iron, bleach or dry clean.
The inner tube rarely needs washing. Shaking and ventilating are usually enough.
Individual replacement parts:
- Deluxe+ replacement pad $40.00
- Deluxe+ replacement tube $60.00
- Deluxe+ replacement poly bag $10.00
- Grand replacement pad $70.00
- Grand replacement tube $100
- Grand replacement poly bag $15.00
Here’s a tip: Keep a safe-for-baby protection pad of some kind on your DockATot. Your baby will have accidents and this makes clean up a breeze!
What to Expect When Your DockATot Arrives
When you receive your dock, it will be packaged in a large black box. Your DockATot will also come in a waterproof poly bag (keep this for future storage).
Let me also give you a heads up about the cardboard insert that will be inside the base of the dock.
Note: You will want to un-zip that segment and remove the cardboard before laying your baby in it. Keep this cardboard for storing in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions About The DockATot
In this section, you will get any question you may still have lingering about the DockATot answered. These are the most common questions new parents ask before purchasing a DockATot lounger.
Can The DockATot be Used for Tummy Time?
- The DockATot Deluxe+ is meant for babies 0-8 months. It should only be used while babies are on their back, as the best evidence suggests that babies should be placed on their backs until one year of age. However, once a baby is capable of rolling over from back to stomach, and from stomach to back, the infant can be allowed to remain in the sleep position he or she assumes. – DockATot Safety Guidelines
- The DockATot Grand is meant for little ones 9-36 months. Once a child is one-year old, and also capable of rolling from their back to their stomach, and also from their stomach to their back, the child can be allowed to sleep on their side or tummy if that is their preference. However, to reduce the risk of SIDS, you should only place the baby on his/her back in the dock for every sleep until your baby reaches 1 year of age. – DockATot Safety Guidelines
Can I Use My DockATot in A Crib, Bassinet or Play Yard?
No. DockATot should not be used in a crib, bassinet or play yard.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has cautioned that babies should be placed in a bare crib without any additional bedding, blankets or pillows.
Furthermore, there is a concern that a young infant who can scoot or crawl out of the dock might get entrapped between the side of the crib, bassinet or play yard and the dock. – DockATot Safety Guidelines
However, The Grand Dock can be used in a toddler bed or big kid-sized bed, once the child is at least nine months old, and then only placed at a height that allows the child to safely descend on his own.
Can I Carry My Baby in The DockATot?
No. It is not safe to carry your baby in the dock. While docks themselves are very portable, you must remove your baby before transporting dock, even for short distances. – DockATot Safety Guidelines.
As you can see my little one loves to get into “happy baby” pose in her dock.
Final Thoughts and Review
I have done my best to be as thorough as possible and write this review with nothing but integrity. Like I said in the beginning, I own this product and have used it, loved it and never regretted buying it.
Honestly, I toyed with the idea of buying the DockATot at first and actually did buy two other less expensive co-sleepers.
Once I decided to make the wise decision and buy the DockATot, the other sleeping products I bought were never used or needed, including her crib!
Without a doubt, I highly urge any new parent to get this product. Out of every baby necessity I made sure to have, the DockATot has easily been the best baby essentials buy of them all!
The opinions stated in this review are my own and are not a direct representation of DockATot.
More Buying Guides and Reviews: