This post may contain affiliate links. Full disclosures here.
Below is everything you need to know about setting up a breast pumping station.
In this “how to set up a pumping station guide,” I’ve compiled a list of supplies you won’t want to go without! You’ll also find some helpful tips on breast pumping in general.
Here we go!
The Lactation Location
Choosing the location of your pumping station is the first step. Ensure you’re in a comfortable space where you feel at ease being pretty exposed most of the time.
For instance, you may choose to have two permanent stations set up in your home. One could be in your bedroom for the convenience of pumping at night and the other in the main living area where you care for baby most of the day.
As an example, I keep my Medela Pump In Style Advanced in the living room on the couch where little one and I spend most of our time during the day.
By the way, invest in lots of supportive pillows to keep your back healthy.
This is a big one ladies! Pumping can take a huge toll on your back, being in a supportive position is SO important. If you don’t have the best place to pump, try putting one of these supportive pillows behind you.
And finally, don’t forget to place yourself somewhere you feel happy. After all, you’ll be spending A LOT of time at your breast pumping station.
The Best Breast Pumping Cart
If you haven’t been on Pinterest yet to look for pumping station inspiration. Then, you may not know about these rolling carts breastfeeding moms have been utilizing for their pumping supplies and as a mobile pumping station.
As you can see from this Instagram post, they are a pumping station game changer!
View this post on Instagram
Remember how we talked about having two different lactation locations? Using a rolling cart pumping station system like this, you would only need one station and then it’s like a tiny house that you take with you!
Here is the link to examine this particular cart further on Amazon.
Must-Have Breast Pumping Station Supplies
Ready to get out a notepad and create your pumping station supplies list?
The items listed below are non-negotiables. Trust me, you won’t want to be without these pumping supplies in your mobile cart pump station.
- Breast Pump – This is an obvious item, but it must be on the list regardless! I recommend investing in a double-electric, personal breast pump as your main pump. The best breast pump for this job in my opinion are either one of the Spectra S1 or S2 models (amazon link).
- Entertainment – Along with the pump, I like to keep my lap top nearby so I can indulge in binge watching YouTube videos. If you’re a bookworm, then you may want to have a good book on your pumping station.
- Lube – Yep, you read that right. Nipple lubrication while pumping is a life-saver! Coconut oil is my preferred nipple lube for this task, but you can use a different nipple cream if you’d like. Just be aware that whatever you use, it needs to be food grade and safe for baby’s ingestion.
- Lactation Tools – Did you know that vibration, massage and heat are enormously helpful stimulants to use while pumping to encourage and increase milk flow? It’s true and having said that, LaVie has some of the only lactation tools on the market. One or a few of these breastfeeding tools would be a smart addition to your pumping station.
- Hands-Free Pumping Bra – Multi-tasking while pumping comes down to this one thing, a hands-free pumping bra. There’s no getting around this one item being an essential.
- Clean Towels – Expressing breast milk can get a little messy. Having some clean towels near by to keep things clean and dry while you pump helps a lot! When I noticed a loss in suction during a pumping session, I would simply wipe my flange down and just like that, I’d have another letdown! Keeping yourself dry while pumping can also help prevent fungal infections, like thrush.
- Beverage – Pumping makes you thirsty! It’s hard work mama. In fact, pumping burns quite a few extra calories per day. So plan on keeping your pumping station stocked with beverages that will keep you hydrated throughout the day. Of course I’m supposed to tell you to drink lots of water, but did you know Body Armor helps increase milk supply?
- Healthy Snacks – I sometimes sit plugged-in for an hour or more and doing all that work makes mama hungry! It may be a good idea to keep a healthy snack in your pumping station that’s also a lactation aid, like these no-bake boobie bites.
- Night Light – For those middle of the night pumping sessions, a soft light night light is a dream. This Vava night light is my personal favorite and the one I own. It’s been so wonderful that I now include it in every baby shower gift I give!
- Spare Parts – When your breast pump is under-performing and you’re in a hurry to relieve some pressure. The last thing you want to do is search around for spare valves. I recommend having these extra pumping kit parts stocked up in your pumping station. See this related to learn how often to change pumping kit parts.
- Pumparoo – Maintaining sanitation with your clean pump parts is crucially important while your baby is very young. A staging mat, like the Punparoo by Sarah Wells has this covered for you. You simply lay it out on your pumping station for a clean space to set up your pumping kit.
One more thing that I feel is a nice touch to your pumping station ambiance, (but not a necessity) is an oil diffuser. Just imagine how relaxing it would be to pump while you breathe in some warm vanilla and calming lavender.
You may as well be pumping at the spa!
In all seriousness, relaxation does play a huge roll in helping to trigger letdowns more easily.
Alright mama, you now have a thorough understanding of how to set up a breast pumping station. You know how to decide where to put your pumping station. You understand the importance of back support and comfort while you pump.
Your Amazon shopping cart is bursting full of pumping station non-negotiable must-haves (tell your husband this) and you are imagining your pumping session feeling like a spa get-away.
I hope you found this article helpful and fun!
If you’re hoping to get a little more knowledgeable about pumping and you prefer learning online, feel free to enroll in my free 5-day email Pumping Pointers Course.
This easy email course equips you with the most important pumping tips and pointers you NEED TO KNOW in order to have a successful breastfeeding back-up plan.
FREEBIE of the Month!
A breastfeeding mom's meal guide to eating dairy free without sacrificing taste or nourishment.